Eagle Street and Queen Street, Brisbane, 1962

Queensland State Archives posted a photo:

On the corner is the Eagle Street Fountain, also known as the Mooney Memorial.

From the Queensland Heritage Register.

This fountain, erected between 1878 and 1880, was designed by the City Engineer, WH Chambers. It was built at a cost of £627 as part of measures to enhance the visual character of that part of the city. The fountain was funded by the Brisbane Municipal Council and public subscriptions. The fountain incorporated local porphyry (Brisbane tuff), Murphy’s Creek sandstone, and imported granite and marble. Inscribed on the fountain were the names of the Aldermen in the 1879 Council, the City Engineer, the Town Clerk, and William Webster, the sculptor.

The fountain popularly became known as the Mooney Memorial Fountain. This name arose through donations given at the time towards a memorial to James Mooney, a volunteer fireman who had lost his life while fighting a fire in Queen

Spread the love

See Full Post >>