Our Margate Red Cross shop is looking for enthusiastic volunteers to assist with store operations. By joining the team you’ll get the opportunity to: Provide…
Author: admin
Red Cross Shop Volunteer – Beaudesert – Brisbane QLD
Our Beaudesert Red Cross shop is looking for enthusiastic volunteers to assist with store operations. By joining the team you’ll get the opportunity…
Red Cross Shop Volunteer – Alderley – Brisbane QLD
Our Alderley Red Cross shop is looking for enthusiastic volunteers to assist with store operations. By joining the team you’ll get the opportunity…
Shop Volunteer – Coolangatta – Brisbane QLD
Our Coolangatta Red Cross shop is looking for enthusiastic volunteers to assist with store operations. By joining the team you’ll get the opportunity…
Administration Officer – Brisbane QLD
The Administration Officer plays a crucial support role within the Health, Safety and Wellness Division and is responsible for assisting with the smooth…
Architectural plan of the Court House and Public Offices, Bowen
Queensland State Archives posted a photo:
Bowen Courthouse is a heritage-listed courthouse at 30 Williams Street (corner with Herbert Street), Bowen, Queensland. It was designed by George St Paul Connolly of the Colonial Architect’s Office and built in 1880 by Southall & Tracey. It was completed in 1881 in the Classic Revival style. It is a two-storey building and was constructed of rendered brick with a corrugated iron roof. It is still in use today and contains most of the original furniture and features.
The Bowen Courthouse is important in demonstrating the early prominence of Bowen, being considerably more grand than other early courts at Townsville and Charters Towers; both of which towns were to eclipse Bowen. As the first Supreme Court outside Brisbane, it also illustrates the way in which a legal system was established and government services provided in the developing north of the colony. The inclusion of a second
Architectural plan of the Court House, Gympie
Queensland State Archives posted a photo:
The second Gympie Court House was built during 1875 and 1876 in Channon Street. The classical revival style brick and stone building was designed by the Colonial Architect’s Office, and was extended in 1893 to include the Gympie Lands Office. It was the first substantial public building constructed in the town which developed at the site of Queensland’s first major productive goldfield.
The building is the third-oldest known surviving courthouse building in Queensland. It replaced an adjacent timber court house, and represented the growing town’s need for impressive justice buildings to project an image of stability. A single room structure with thick, solid brick walls and a heavy metal door, the strongroom behind the main building is a good example of a secure storage vault.
Description source:
Queensland Heritage Register
View the original image at Queensland State Archives:
Digital Image ID 2587
Architectural plan of the Court House, Mackay
Queensland State Archives posted a photo:
The Mackay Courthouse was designed by noted architect John James Clark who was at the time Colonial Architect. The new courthouse was contracted to replace earlier courthouses which were no longer capable of meeting the demands of the rapidly developing area. The building was designed in the classical revival style thought appropriate for public buildings and intended to convey a sense of stability and dignity, particularly a courthouse which represented the power of the law.
The contractor for the work was Denis Kelleher. The courthouse was a single storey building with rooms extended to each side of the front entrance containing barristers and witnesses’ rooms and which were later extended by one room on each side. Behind the bench were rooms for the judge, police magistrates, Clerk of Petty Sessions and Jury. It was opened on 27 May 1886 and the first local sitting of the
Architectural plan of the Court House, Townsville
Queensland State Archives posted a photo:
Townsville Magistrates Court is a heritage-listed former courthouse and now theatre at 81 Sturt Street, Townsville, Queensland. It was designed by Francis Drummond Greville Stanley and built from 1874 to 1876 by J & J Rooney. It is a single-storeyed brick building and took two years to complete due to a shortage of suitable brick clay.
The building functioned as a courthouse for almost 100 years. With the construction of new court facilities in Walker Street, the old structure was threatened with demolition. Community agitation saved the building and it was purchased by the Townsville City Council in the early 1970s. It is significant historically as evidence of the early consolidation of Townsville as a government administrative centre in northern Queensland, and in illustrating the early use of brick in Townsville.
Description source:
Wikipedia
View the original image at Queensland State Archives:
Digital Image ID 2599
Architectural plans of the Court House, Rockhampton
Queensland State Archives posted a photo:
Rockhampton Courthouse complex comprises of several buildings which all form part of a significant group of buildings of the Government Reserve bounded by Fitzroy, East and Bolsover Streets, Rockhampton. The buildings all reflect the involvement of the Queensland Government in the development of the City of Rockhampton from the colonial period until the present day, in various areas such as the administration of justice, and the provision of government services within Rockhampton.
The booming economy of the Rockhampton region was to find an expression of its wealth in the public buildings constructed in the period of 1885-1910. An example of this is the Supreme Court building. To accommodate the increased needs of the judiciary a replacement court house was under design in the period of 1884. The architect was John James Clark, the Queensland Colonial Architect.
The Court House was elevated to the status of having a



