Queensland Housing Commission streetscape, Webster Road, Stafford, September 1949

Queensland State Archives posted a photo:

The Telegraph
11 July 1946

State Has 1,333 Building Blocks

Up to June 30 last the Queensland Housing Commission had acquired land totalling 1,333 building allotments in Brisbane, the Minister for Works and Housing (Mr Bruce) announced today.

The lands were located as follows: Ashgrove, 99 allotments; Banyo, 11; Camp Hill, 17; Cannon Hill, 11; Chermside-Wavell Heights, 261; Coorparoo, 187; Corinda-Graceville, 20; Enoggera-Gaythorne-Mitchelton, 228; Fairfield-Yeronga, 25, Indooroopilly-Taringa, 22; Kedron, 20; Wynnum-Manly. 11; Moorooka-Rocklea-Salisbury, 41; Morningside, 17; Mt. Gravatt, 2; Nundah, 29; Stafford, 161; Tarragindi, 171; total, 1,333.

On the north side, 831 allotments had been acquired, and on the south side, 502.

Queensland State Archives, Digital Image ID 1509

See Full Post >>

Architectural drawing of the Hospital, Cooktown, 3 March 1885

Queensland State Archives posted a photo:

From the Queensland Heritage Register.

The former Cooktown Hospital was erected in 1879-81 to the design of Queensland colonial architect FDG Stanley, replacing an earlier temporary hospital building erected in 1874.

Cooktown was established in October 1873 as the Endeavour River port, supply and administrative centre for the Palmer River goldfields. In the earliest days of Cooktown settlement [the summer of 1873-74], new arrivals to the Endeavour River district faced food shortages, floods and fever, and the establishment of a hospital at Cooktown became urgent. In March 1874 a committee was formed to raise local subscriptions for a temporary hospital building, and the first Cook District Hospital, a small timber structure situated on the ridge above Charlotte Street [between Banks and Green Streets], was erected in April 1874. In the same month a Government Medical Officer was appointed, and the colonial government promised £300 for a permanent

See Full Post >>

Dining room in the Venereal Isolation Hospital, South Brisbane, c 1946

Queensland State Archives posted a photo:

The Female Venereal Disease Isolation Hospital was established at the Brisbane General Hospital in 1911 where women were compulsorily detained under the Queensland Health Act of 1911. It was moved to a building adjacent to HM Prison Brisbane – Boggo Road in 1920.

Up to 1943 it was used for the confinement of “common prostitutes”, “promiscuous amateurs” and “delinquent girls”. From 1943 it was also used for “any woman found to have infected personnel of the fighting forces”. It reached its peak in November 1943 with 105 “inmates”. The increase in 1943 required expanding the facilities.

The discovery of penicillin resulted in the Queensland Government treating “venereal disease” as a medical issue rather than using punitive detention. The Isolation Hospital closed in 1948 and in 1950 became part of the “new” general female prison.

Queensland State Archives, Digital Image ID 2725

See Full Post >>

Brisbane Women's Hospital, 1947

Queensland State Archives posted a photo:

The Brisbane Hospital was built at Herston in 1867. The new Women’s Hospital opened on adjacent land in 1938. Queen Elizabeth II gave permission to use the prefix “Royal” to the Brisbane Hospital in 1966 and to the Brisbane Women’s Hospital in 1967.

The 1938 Royal Women’s Hospital building was demolished in 2002. Royal Brisbane Hospital and the Royal Brisbane Women’s Hospital were merged into the Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital in 2003.

Queensland State Archives, Digital Image ID 26479

See Full Post >>