University of Queensland, St Lucia, Brisbane, 1967

Queensland State Archives posted a photo:

The University of Queensland was established by an act of state parliament on 10 December 1909 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Queensland’s separation from the colony of New South Wales. Construction of the Forgan Smith Building began in 1938 and during WW2 it was the headquarters for the Allied Land Forces in the South West Pacific.

Queensland State Archives Item ID436319, Photographic material

See Full Post >>

Evans Deakin and Company shipyard, Kangaroo Point, Brisbane, 1967

Queensland State Archives posted a photo:

Evans Deakin & Company established a shipyard at Kangaroo Point at the start of WW2. It built 81 ships between 1940 and 1971. Under construction in the dry dock is the dredge WDA Endeavour and several Attack-class patrol boats.

Queensland State Archives Item ID436319, Photographic material

See Full Post >>

Lakes Creek Meatworks, Rockhampton, 1967

Queensland State Archives posted a photo:

The Lakes Creek abattoir was built in 1871. It also built group housing for employees until 1900. During WW1 it packed Bully Beef and head tack biscuits for war rations. The abattoir continued to operate during the 1954 flood despite being surrounded by water.

Queensland State Archives Item ID436319, Photographic material

See Full Post >>

Golden Circle cannery, Northgate, 1967

Queensland State Archives posted a photo:

The Golden Circle cannery was established at Northgate in 1947 and spun off into a separate business in 1964. To the left of the factory to the left is Binda railway station and in the background is the Banyo Railway Workshops. In the top right is the Banyo Ordnance Depot, originally built by the United States Army between 1943 and 1945 and transferred to the Australian Army in 1950.

Queensland State Archives Item ID436319, Photographic material

See Full Post >>

Royal Brisbane Women's Hospital, Herston, 1967

Queensland State Archives posted a photo:

The Brisbane Hospital was built at Herston in 1867. The new Women’s Hospital opened on adjacent land in 1938. Queen Elizabeth II gave permission to use the prefix “Royal” to the Brisbane Hospital in 1966 and to the Brisbane Women’s Hospital in 1967.

The 1938 Royal Women’s Hospital building was demolished in 2002. Royal Brisbane Hospital and the Royal Brisbane Women’s Hospital were merged into the Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital in 2003.

Queensland State Archives Item ID436319, Photographic material

See Full Post >>

Maryborough from the air, 1967

Queensland State Archives posted a photo:

Maryborough was founded in 1847, was proclaimed a municipality in 1861, and became a city in 1905. Its name was derived from the Mary River, which was named in 1847 after Lady Mary Lennox, the wife of the Governor of New South Wales, Sir Charles Fitzroy.

In the background can be see the Walkers Limited factory and shipyard.

Queensland State Archives Item ID436319, Photographic material

See Full Post >>

Warwick Town Hall, 1897

Queensland State Archives posted a photo:

From the Queensland Heritage Register.

Officially opened in October 1888, this sandstone building survives as evidence of the consolidation of Warwick as a business and administrative centre for the surrounding district during the late nineteenth century.

Warwick township developed slowly during the 1850s and by 1857 the population of the parish of Warwick had reached just over 1 300. Under the provisions of the 1858 Municipalities Act (NSW), any centre with a population in excess of 1000 was entitled to petition the colonial government for recognition as a municipality. Brisbane was the first town in what was soon to become Queensland to receive municipal status under the 1858 Act, and was proclaimed a municipality on 7 September 1859.

By 1859, the year in which Queensland separated from New South Wales, the township of Warwick was recognised as a major urban centre on the Darling Downs, and when Queensland’s

See Full Post >>

Kingston Butter Factory, January 1952

Queensland State Archives posted a photo:

Dairying was one of the major industries in this area around the turn of the century. The original Butter Factory was a timber structure built in 1906 and rebuilt in brick in 1932. By this time, the factory was producing 40 – 50 tons of butter per week.

The dairy company Peters took over the factory in 1958 and diversified into producing milk, cottage and baker’s cheese. The factory closed in 1983. The building was then acquired by Logan City Council and converted to a community centre as a Bicentennial project in 1988. The refurbished building now houses a community arts centre, theatre and museum.

Queensland State Archives, Digital Image ID 23180

See Full Post >>