Interior of office in State Government Insurance Office (SGIO) building, c.1956

Queensland State Archives posted a photo:

Brisbane Telegraph
26 May 1950

STATE RECORD

The State Government Insurance Office has created a re cord for the amount of new business written last year.

The Treasurer (Mr. Gair) said today that 9,553 policies had been taken out and the sums assured amounted to £4.682,925.

As a result of the year’s trading, the funds had in creased by £531,721, making the total life department funds £7.735,440 (£6.745.420 in 1947).

During, the year, added Mr Gair, £275,883 ‘had been paid for maturities, and £112.588 for death claims.

Mr. Gair added that reversionary bonuses had been declared at the same rate as last year and would be issued to holders of participating policies soon.

Queensland State Archives, Digital Image ID 27047

See Full Post >>

"Platypus" and another ship in the South Brisbane Graving Dock, 1926

Queensland State Archives posted a photo:

The steam dredge Platypus was built in 1883 by William Simons & Co Ltd at Renfrew, Scotland for the Queensland Government. For more than 40 years she dredged shipping channels in ports along the Queensland coast. In 1926 she was put into the dry dock at South Brisbane (now the Queensland Maritime Museum) to be stripped of useful equipment. On 21 October 1926 the hulk was then sunk as a breakwater off Peel Island in Moreton Bay, where she still lies today.

Queensland State Archives Item ID972528, Photographic material

See Full Post >>

Former reverberatory incinerator at Ipswich, designed by Walter Burley Griffin, c1974

Queensland State Archives posted a photo:

The reverberatory incinerator was built in Ipswich in 1936. It was designed by architect Walter Burley Griffin. Incineration of rubbish was discontinued in 1960 and the council considered demolishing the building in 1965. In 1969 the building was converted to an 80 seat theatre by the Arts Council. The Ipswich Little Theatre took over the lease in 1974. The building was listed on the Queensland Heritage Register on 21 October 1992.

The former incinerator is one of only six surviving examples of the twelve incinerators of this type built in Australia. It is also the only example of the work of Walter Burley Griffin in Queensland.

Queensland State Archives Item ID962875, Correspondence

See Full Post >>

Commissariat Store, William Street, Brisbane, c 1960

Queensland State Archives posted a photo:

From the Queensland Heritage Register.

The Commissariat Store was constructed of local stone in 1828-9 by Moreton Bay penal settlement convicts as a two-storey provisions store near the Brisbane River and what was to become Queen’s Wharf. A third storey of rendered brick was added in 1913 to accommodate its continuing use as a government store and providing an address to William Street.

In 1860, following the creation of the colony of Queensland, the store was renamed the Colonial Store. It was repaired and the upper floor was converted for use as police barracks. Eighteen new hardwood sash windows were added. Internally, six pine batten doors and a partition were constructed to provide married men’s quarters and single men’s barracks on the first floor. At this time a fireplace, new ironbark shingle roof, wall, window and door were added to the kitchen building in the yard (constructed

See Full Post >>

Scale model of the Yeronga Technical College – Brisbane, 14 March 1975

Queensland State Archives posted a photo:

Yeronga Technical College was established on 1 July 1966. It opened in 1967 and provided technical education to certificate and apprenticeship levels. In 1977 it became Yeronga College of Technical and Further Education (TAFE) and in 1995 became Yeronga Institute of Technical and Further Education. In 2006 it was amalgamated into the Metropolitan South Institute of TAFE.

Queensland State Archives, Digital Image ID 27438

See Full Post >>

Parade at the Queensland Police Academy, Oxley, 18 September 1975

Queensland State Archives posted a photo:

The Queensland Police Academy at Oxley officially opened on 24 March 1972. This image was taken by the Lands Department, Survey Office, Cartographic Branch, Photographic Section which provided photographic services to a range of government departments.

Queensland State Archives Item ID436420, Photographic material

See Full Post >>