Burke Street, Julia Creek, c 1953

Queensland State Archives posted a photo:

The Australian Estates & Mortgage Co Ltd was founded in 1894 as wool and produce selling brokers, stock and station agents, pastoralists, raw sugar millers and cane growers. It renamed The Australian Estates Company Limited in 1936 and was taken over by CSR Limited in 1975.

As of August 2017, both these building still exist.

Queensland State Archives Item ID435653, Photographic material

See Full Post >>

SS Bilkurra, Brisbane, 1949

Queensland State Archives posted a photo:

SS Bilkurra was a 3,952 t cargo ship built by Evans Deakin & Co Ltd, Kangaroo Point, Brisbane in 1949 for the Australian Shipping Board. She was transferred to the Australian National Line in 1959 and sold to Malaysian International Shipping Corp as Malaysia Maju. She was sold again in 1971 to Pac Trade Navigation Co., Panama and renamed Santa Carina, being retired and broken up in 1974.

Queensland State Archives Item ID435645, Photographic material

See Full Post >>

Warroo Shire Hall, Surat, 1949

Queensland State Archives posted a photo:

From the Queensland Heritage Register.

The Warroo Shire Hall was built in 1929 in Surat as an administrative and social centre. Surat is the administrative hub of the Warroo Shire and is situated on the Balonne River some 80 kilometres south of Roma.

The Surveyor-General Thomas Mitchell mapped the area in 1846 and the District of Maranoa was proclaimed in November 1848. The new Commissioner of Lands arrived with several police in 1849 and set up camp on Yambougal station, moving slightly up river a few months later. This was the site selected in 1849 by surveyor James Burrowes for a service township on the Balonne River. He called the township Surat, after his former home in Madras, India.

A Court of Petty Sessions at Surat was gazetted in 1850 and a police building was erected. The Lands and Post Offices were soon represented and in 1859 a

See Full Post >>

Council Chambers, Goondiwindi , 1949

Queensland State Archives posted a photo:

From the Queensland Heritage Register.

The Goondiwindi Civic Centre comprises the Town Council Chambers, Town Hall and a set of shops linked by a common facade, in the main street of Goondiwindi. The Centre was designed by architects GF Addison and HS MacDonald and built by TC Clarke in 1937, and opened by the then Minister for Health and Home Affairs, Mr M E Hanlon, in 1938.

The Centre was built with the assistance of the Queensland Government, with a loan of £10 333 and a subsidy of £5 167. The rents received by the Council from the building covered the repayments due by the Council, and the loan was repaid by c1953.

The Centre replaced the existing Council buildings which were considered unsafe for public use and the School of Arts building which was also in a poor state of repair. The Centre was considered an outstanding

See Full Post >>

Maryborough Railway Station Complex and Air Raid Shelter, Front entry, 1997

Queensland State Archives posted a photo:

From the Queensland Heritage Register.

The railway complex on Lennox Street in Maryborough consists of a number of timber buildings constructed between 1878 and the 1930s, as well as a brick and concrete platform and a concrete air raid shelter built in 1942. The Maryborough Railway Station was built as the terminus of a railway network that radiated from Maryborough, transporting timber, coal, sugar and other agricultural products to the wharves on the Mary River. Maryborough was also a busy rail terminal for passenger traffic. Although the Maryborough railway station is no longer used, the station buildings are a picturesque reminder of significant past economic activity and transport arrangements within the region.

Settlement at Maryborough commenced in September 1847 when George Furber established a wool-store on the south bank of the Mary River at the head of navigation. He was followed in June 1848 by ET Aldridge,

See Full Post >>