Queensland State Archives posted a photo:
Scale: 20 chains to 1 inch
Queensland State Archives, Digital Image ID 6504
News and other stories about real people, places, and events in Fortitude Valley and nearby suburbs.
Queensland State Archives posted a photo:
Scale: 20 chains to 1 inch
Queensland State Archives, Digital Image ID 6504
Queensland State Archives posted a photo:
From the Queensland Heritage Register.
The railway complex on Lennox Street in Maryborough consists of a number of timber buildings constructed between 1878 and the 1930s, as well as a brick and concrete platform and a concrete air raid shelter built in 1942. The Maryborough Railway Station was built as the terminus of a railway network that radiated from Maryborough, transporting timber, coal, sugar and other agricultural products to the wharves on the Mary River. Maryborough was also a busy rail terminal for passenger traffic. Although the Maryborough railway station is no longer used, the station buildings are a picturesque reminder of significant past economic activity and transport arrangements within the region.
Settlement at Maryborough commenced in September 1847 when George Furber established a wool-store on the south bank of the Mary River at the head of navigation. He was followed in June 1848 by ET Aldridge,
Queensland State Archives posted a photo:
Letter to Edward James Boult, Harbour Master Maryborough, from Alf Hall, Clerk, suggesting arrangements be made for passengers to cross the river by boat when flood waters cover the Lamington Bridge, 9 January 1898.
Queensland State Archives, Digital Image ID 6489
Queensland State Archives posted a photo:
The Brisbane Courier
30 October 1896
MARYBOROUGH BRIDGE, OFFICIAL OPENING.
The official opening of the new bridge over the Mary River at Maryborough will take place at 4 p.m. to-day.
The Ministers for Works and Railways, the members of the Victoria Bridge Board, the Under Secretary for Works, and the Chief Engineer for Bridges, and a small party of members of Parliament will leave Brisbane for Maryborough by this morning’s’ train, returning by the mail train on Saturday. A dinner will be given to the visitors by the Maryborough Bridge Board at the Royal Hotel in the evening. It is expected that the Minister for Works will open the bridge officially in the unavoidable absence of his Excellency the Governor. The new bridge was built to replace the high level wooden structure which was destroyed by the flood of 1893. The new bridge is a composite structure of Portland
Queensland State Archives posted a photo:
The Western Champion
9 May 1884
WINDORAH CORRESPONDENCE.
Our fellow townsman, Mr. M. Connolly, is the successful tenderer for the new police quarters, and as soon as the roads are again open for travelling, and weather will permit, he will start on the job. The acceptance of Connolly’s tender has given general satisfaction.
Queensland State Archives, Digital Image ID 20976
Queensland State Archives posted a photo:
Maryborough State High School was established as Maryborough Grammar School in 1881 during a prosperous period in the town. The school comprised two departments – boys’ and girls’ – and opened in a grand, new building designed by architect, John Richard Hall, on the north side of Kent Street. In 1883 the girls’ department moved across Kent Street to their own separate site with an equally-grand, new building designed by architect, Francis Drummond Greville Stanley. The schools were transferred to state control in 1936 and were amalgamated and renamed Maryborough State High School in 1974. The buildings stand prominently on large, landscaped sites, facing each other across the main thoroughfare, Kent Street, and the schools have a strong connection with generations of Maryborough students, staff and parents as a centre of secondary education in Maryborough since 1881.
The boys’ school shared the site and facilities with
Queensland State Archives posted a photo:
The original AMP Society building was replaced with a new building, now knwon as MacArthur Chambers, in 1930.
Queensland State Archives, Digital Image ID 2189
Queensland State Archives posted a photo:
Maryborough was founded in 1847, was proclaimed a municipality in 1861 and became a city in 1905. The name is derived from the Mary River, named in 1847 after Lady Mary Lennox.
Queensland State Archives Item ID435753, Photographic material
Queensland State Archives posted a photo:
HMQS Paluma was a flat-iron gunboat operated by the Queensland Maritime Defence Force and later the Royal Australian Navy as HMAS Paluma. She entered service on 28 October 1884, decommissioned in 1916 and then sold to the Victorian Ports and Harbours Department, who operated her under the name Rip until 1948 when she was retired. She was scrapped in 1950–51.
Queensland State Archives Item ID435753, Photographic material
Queensland State Archives posted a photo:
Maryborough was founded in 1847, was proclaimed a municipality in 1861 and became a city in 1905. The name is derived from the Mary River, named in 1847 after Lady Mary Lennox.
Queensland State Archives Item ID435753, Photographic material