James Nash Memorial, Gympie, 1962

Queensland State Archives posted a photo:

The Queenslander
13 March 1915

THE NASH MEMORIAL

The ceremony of unveiling the memorial recently erected in the Gympie Town Hall reserve to the memory of the late Mr. James Nash, who discovered the Gympie goldfield on October 16, 1867, was performed this afternoon by Alderman A. G. Ramsey in the presence of a large gathering of Gympie residents and representatives of the local and district councils. Those present included the mayor (Alderman P. H. Green) and the city aldermen, Councillors Betts (chairman of the Widgee Shire Council) and R. Dunmall (Widgee Shire), Councillor A. J. M. Chapman (Noosa Shire Council, Messrs. A. L. Petrie, R. Trout, G. H. Mackay, and H. F. Walker, M.L.A, J.
Stumm, M.H.R., Mesdames C and A. Nash, J.Moore (nee Nash), and Messrs. Mark and Bert Nash: also the members of the Nash Memorial Committee. The Mayor presided, and in a brief speech announced

See Full Post >>

City Council Chambers and James Nash Memorial, Gympie, 1962

Queensland State Archives posted a photo:

From the Queensland Heritage Register.

Gympie Town Hall was opened in 1890 on land reserved for this purpose in 1883. It was designed by Clark Brothers, which won competitions for proposed town halls for Brisbane and Gympie in 1884 and Warwick in 1885. Of the Clark Brothers’ prize-winning designs for Queensland town halls, only that for Gympie may have been realised, and its construction was supervised by H W Durietz in the late 1880s. It was extended in 1938-9 by Brisbane architect C H Griffin.

Gympie (initially Nashville) arose after the discovery of gold in the Mary River district in October 1867. The new goldfield established Queensland as a significant gold producer and contributed much needed finances to the young colony. Thousands of people arrived at the Gympie goldfield in the months after the discovery and a fledgling settlement emerged. In a year the alluvial gold had

See Full Post >>