Eagle Street and Queen Street, Brisbane, 1962

Queensland State Archives posted a photo:

On the corner is the Eagle Street Fountain, also known as the Mooney Memorial.

From the Queensland Heritage Register.

This fountain, erected between 1878 and 1880, was designed by the City Engineer, WH Chambers. It was built at a cost of £627 as part of measures to enhance the visual character of that part of the city. The fountain was funded by the Brisbane Municipal Council and public subscriptions. The fountain incorporated local porphyry (Brisbane tuff), Murphy’s Creek sandstone, and imported granite and marble. Inscribed on the fountain were the names of the Aldermen in the 1879 Council, the City Engineer, the Town Clerk, and William Webster, the sculptor.

The fountain popularly became known as the Mooney Memorial Fountain. This name arose through donations given at the time towards a memorial to James Mooney, a volunteer fireman who had lost his life while fighting a fire in Queen

See Full Post >>

MV Kangaroo, Kangaroo Point, 1962

Queensland State Archives posted a photo:

MV Kangaroo was a 4,129 t passenger/cargo ship built by Evans Deakin & Co for the State Shipping Service of Western Australia. Launched in February 1962 and completed the following November, Kangaroo operated 112 voyages between Fremantle and Darwin for the Western Australia Government. She was sold to Hong Kong Fir Shipping Co Ltd in 1973 and renamed Yara, being retired and scrapped in 1989.

Queensland State Archives Item ID436298, Photographic material

See Full Post >>

MV Kangaroo under construction, Kangaroo Point, 1961

Queensland State Archives posted a photo:

MV Kangaroo was a 4,129 t passenger/cargo ship built by Evans Deakin & Co for the State Shipping Service of Western Australia. Launched in February 1962 and completed the following November, Kangaroo operated 112 voyages between Fremantle and Darwin for the Western Australia Government. She was sold to Hong Kong Fir Shipping Co Ltd in 1973 and renamed Yara, being retired and scrapped in 1989.

Queensland State Archives Item ID436296, Photographic material

See Full Post >>

Princess Alexandra Hospital, Woolloongabba, 1961

Queensland State Archives posted a photo:

The hospital was built on the site of the 1883 Diamantina Orphanage. In 1901 it became the Diamantina Hospital for Chronic Diseases, then 1943 the South Brisbane Auxiliary Hospital, then South Brisbane Hospital in 1956 and finally the Princess Alexandra Hospital in 1959.

Queensland State Archives Item ID436296, Photographic material

See Full Post >>