The Mothers' Memorial, Margaret Street, Toowoomba, 1961

Queensland State Archives posted a photo:

The Mothers’ Memorial at its original location at the intersection of Ruthven and Margaret Streets. It is one of the few war memorials commissioned by women, who sold sweet violets to raise money for a monument to their soldier sons who did not return from the First World War. The monument was dedicated in 1922. Through the sale of violets, the Sweet Violet was commonly known as the Toowoomba Violet. It became Toowoomba’s official floral emblem in 1932.

The memorial was relocated to East Creek Park in 1985.

Queensland State Archives Item ID436295, Photographic material

See Full Post >>

Governor of Queensland Colonel Sir Henry Abel Smith greeting Governor-General of Australia William Sidney, 1st Viscount De L'Isle, Brisbane Airport, 1962

Queensland State Archives posted a photo:

Colonel Sir Henry Abel Smith was the 17th Governor of Queensland from 1958 to 1966.

William Sidney served in France and Italy during WW2 and was awarded the Victoria Cross for action during the Battle of Anzio. He was the 15th Governor-General of Australia and the last non-Australian to hold the office.

Standing to the left of the fence is Premier of Queensland Frank Nicklin.

Queensland State Archives Item ID436298, Photographic material

See Full Post >>

Town map, Blair Athol, 1953

Queensland State Archives posted a photo:

Early settler James MacLaren took up a pastoral run in the area in 1863 and named it after the town in Perthshire, Scotland. He discovered coal while digging a well in 1864. Australia’s first open cut coal mine opened at Blair Athol on 18 May 1922. Now only the cemetery remains.

Queensland State Archives Item ID2220170, Map

See Full Post >>

City Council Chambers and Civic Centre, Bundaberg, 1962

Queensland State Archives posted a photo:

The Bundaberg Division was created in 1879. The urban area became the Borough of Bundaberg in 1881 and the Town of Bundaberg in 1903. Bundaberg was proclaimed as a city in 1913. It merged into the Bundaberg Region in 2008.

Queensland State Archives Item ID436298, Photographic material

See Full Post >>

Municipal Markats, Brisbane, 1962

Queensland State Archives posted a photo:

Brisbane’s first Central Market began in 1868 in a Brisbane Municipal Council built shed on the corner of Charlotte and Eagle Streets. It closed in 1881 due to poor patronage.

In 1885, the Council opened the purpose-built Municipal Market in Roma Street, beside the railway station.

Due to increasing congestion, the State Government agreed to move the Central Market to Rocklea in 1964, were the Brisbane Markets are located today.

Queensland State Archives Item ID436298, Photographic material

See Full Post >>

Court House, Mackay, c 1962

Queensland State Archives posted a photo:

From the Queensland Heritage Register.

The site has been associated with the police and judiciary in Mackay since the 1860s. Although buildings were erected and removed during the 19th and 20th centuries as the site developed, the major buildings remain and include the police station, built as a court house in 1886, the current court house, built in 1938, and two brick police residences from 1936-7. A 1960s watch house and keeper’s residence are also on this site.

The town of Mackay is named for John Mackay who entered the valley of the Pioneer River in 1860 and established a pastoral run there in the following year. In 1862 a settlement was begun on the south bank of the river and by 1863, the township had been surveyed and the first lots of land sold. It was gazetted as a port of entry and a customs house

See Full Post >>