Shire Offices, Sarina, c 1962

Queensland State Archives posted a photo:

Pioneer Division was one of the 74 divisional boards established on 11 November 1879. Pioneer Division became the Shire of Pioneer on 31 March 1903. The Shire of Sarina was split out of the Shire of Pioneer (Mackay) on 1 January 1912. The Shire of Sarina merged with the City of Mackay and Shire of Mirani to form the Mackay Region in 2008.

Queensland State Archives Item ID436299, Photographic material

See Full Post >>

Town Hall, Rockhampton, c 1962

Queensland State Archives posted a photo:

From the Queensland Heritage Register.

Rockhampton emerged as an important Queensland regional centre during the 1850s and 1860s. This development took on especial prominence after the discovery of the mining wealth at Mount Morgan in 1882. The additional affluence that flowed on for Rockhampton fuelled a rapid expansion of public and private buildings and residences throughout the City and surrounds. This building boom allowed for many grand places to be constructed, especially renowned along the commercial and government sector near the wharves on Quay Street, to the many elite residences found on ‘The Range’. Despite this building expansion into the 1900s, Rockhampton never achieved a purpose built Town Hall until 1941.

An 1878 reference to premises utilised by Rockhampton’s Council, stated: “OUR MUNICPAL EDDIFICES are more useful than ornamental. The Council Chambers (by one aspiring Mayor denominated “Temporary Town Hall”) are of wood and iron, lined, in

See Full Post >>

Train near Southern Cross, c 1962

Queensland State Archives posted a photo:

Southern Cross is west of Charters Towers on the railway between Townsville and Mount Isa. The railway was upgraded to main line standards in the early 1960s.

C17 class No. 706 was built by Evans, Anderson, Phelan & Co, Kangaroo Point, Brisbane in 1926.

Queensland State Archives Item ID436299, Photographic material

See Full Post >>

Sugar train, Port of Townsville, c 1962

Queensland State Archives posted a photo:

Ten diesel electric locomotives were built by GE Transportation, Erie, Pennsylvania in 1952-53. They were initially numbered 1210-1219. In 1956 they were renumbered 1300-1309 and three additional locomotives were built by A Goninan & Co in Broadmeadow, New South Wales. In 1965 they were again renumbered 1150-1162. They were retired in the late 1970s and 1980s.

Queensland State Archives Item ID436299, Photographic material

See Full Post >>

Post Office and McKinlay Shire Civic Centre, Julia Creek, c 1962

Queensland State Archives posted a photo:

Julia Creek was was named after the niece of Donald McIntyre, the first white settler in the area.

The Mackinlay Division was created on 9 December 1891 out of parts of Boulia and Cloncurry. It became the Shire of McKinlay on 31 March 1903. The new new Shire of McKinlay was formed from parts of the Shires of Cloncurry, McKinlay, Winton and Wyangarie in 2008.

Queensland State Archives Item ID436299, Photographic material

See Full Post >>

Cloncurry Airport, c 1962

Queensland State Archives posted a photo:

In 1919, Hudson Fysh and Paul McGinness saw a need for an aerial mail between the Queensland and Northern Territory railhead towns of Charleville, Longreach, Winton, Cloncurry and Birdum. They established the Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services Limited (QANTAS). The original QANTAS hangar in the background, built in 1920, is still in use today.

Queensland State Archives Item ID436299, Photographic material

See Full Post >>

Post Office, Flinders Street, Townsville, c 1962

Queensland State Archives posted a photo:

From the Queensland Heritage Register.

The Post Office was constructed in 1886 at a cost of £17,235. Dennis Kellcher submitted a tender and carried out extensions in 1888, while a clock tower was built by Henry L Davis & Co. Chimes were imported from England in 1889 and installed by 1891. As a result of severe bomb damage done to buildings in Darwin, the clocktower was dismantled in 1942 and the mechanism was stored away. A greatly modified tower was built in 1963-64 by JE Allen & Co. of Townsville at a cost of £42,135. The interior was also modernisation at this time. Because of its prominent location, the Post Office often became the scene of political rallies around a speaker on a soap box.

Queensland State Archives Item ID436299, Photographic material

See Full Post >>